Sunday, April 23, 2006

Yesterday's Aha

I've been reading through all kinds of old papers, looking for new insights about my dad and grandfather. Buddha said that carrying one's anger is like holding a burning-hot stone in your hand--I'm hoping that new understanding will help me finally trade the hot weight of resentment for the cool water of forgiveness, running lightly across my fingers.

I recently got another gift--letters from me to a friend, who had carefully saved them over the years. When I read through them, I felt the old familiar flush of embarrassment creeping up my neck. This always happens when I read back over things I've written long ago. I begin to judge myself: how could I have been so superficial, or pitiful, or naive, or [fill in the blank with whatever other critical adjective you can come up with]?

It may be that Dad's not the only one I need to forgive. Forgiving myself may be the hardest task of all. And the most important.

No comments: