Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Lottery

If I won the lottery, I'd build myself a room just for wrapping presents. I love the whole gift-giving business.

I love the planning, making lists, thinking of quirky things about the people I love, and finding the perfect present to fit each quirk. I love walking through a store when something yells, "Buy me! I need to go to [fill in the blank]'s house!" I love buying fun wrapping paper, making the corners crisp, and tying the ribbon around Katie's little index finger. And I love the light in people's eyes when they've gotten a really fun present, something they never would have gotten for themselves.

An unexpected delight of this book process is the presents that have come to me. There are the stories, of course--each one gives me more to think about and adds another facet to my growing story. But then there are other spontaneous gifts: a 50-cent yard sale umbrella big enough for my whole family, a Cabbagetown CD with songs that make me laugh aloud, record albums of Clarence reading his Cotton Patch Gospel. Oh, and the books. Loads of 'em. I just wish I had enough shelf space!

I'm loving the gifts. I guess I am winning the lottery, a little at a time.

No comments: