Sunday, March 26, 2006

Brilliance


Today I watched the birthing of the sun from the ocean. Too bad the word "awesome" has lost its meaning, because I need it now. It was a breath-taking start to my day.

They say you're never supposed to look directly at the sun. But in that moment, how could I help it? And it's true, I brought the sunrise back up the beach with me, seeing it again each time I blinked.

My journey feels a little like that. I've been telling myself for years not to look too closely at what happened long ago--it would just bring it all up again. I should put it away, move on. Enjoy this happy adulthood.

But now I'm looking. I can't help it. And although it does sometimes preoccupy the backsides of my eyelids, it's not destroying me. In fact, there's some freedom in there somewhere, I think.

Being near the ocean just always does bring thoughts of Dad. He found peace at the beach.

No comments: