Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Meet the Preacher

This is my beloved Granddaddy Moore, known to others as President of the Georgia Baptist Convention, Trustee of Mercer University, Dr. Moore, or simply "Preacher."

I knew him as a huge, gentle, loving Granddaddy, patient with my questions about fish guts, never eating peaches with the fuzz still on, smiling as he ran around the camera to be in the picture. I remember his study, with so many books and the big brown vinyl fold-out couch. And his various putting gadgets, the ones I liked to roll the golf balls into, watching them spit back out across the living room carpet over and over again. And I was always really fascinated by his really big ear lobes. He was my safe place. And I loved him for it.

Other people thought of him differently. To the Minister of Music, he was a beloved "bossman," with the final word on everything. To the young Baptist, he was a much-admired authority figure, whose word was never questioned. To the segregationist in his recently-integrated church (the first one in the Georgia Baptist Convention to integrate, a feat accomplished in 1963), he was an "underhanded, deceitful communist." Another minister referred to him as an "unusual combination of Christian scholar, and reg'lar feller."

As far as I can tell from what I've learned, this remarkable man was the complete package: he had scholarship, impeccable integrity, boundless wit, an unusual ability to deeply understand people, administrative skills, courage, great preaching, and a political mind. And don't forget those really cool earlobes.

He was both a doer and a deep thinker, something we could do with a little more of in our modern leadership.

His daughter, my mother, never questioned his wisdom, especially when he said an oath was an oath, and a marriage was forever. I do wonder what his wisdom would have been, had he known the full story of what we were surviving.


No comments: