Friday, July 03, 2020

Boarding Call


“I’ve traveled widely in Concord.” I first heard this canonized phrase from the mouth of one of my white, middle-aged English teachers at Mountain Heritage High School. She pronounced it “CON-chord,” like the town with the NASCAR speedway down near Charlotte. Thoreau likely pronounced it “CAHN-cerd.” It stuck with me. It fit, in that tiny town.

The Sibling Tree
The phrase comes back to me often on my morning pilgrimage up to the ridge above my valley. The path is so familiar—I even have names for individual trees and pieces of the trail. My challenge is always to notice something new: a change in the light, a new mushroom, a smell. Just once it was a bear. Sometimes the noticing is on the inside: an insight or awareness of sadness that wouldn’t rise to the surface in the course of my busy day. Sometimes it’s my own silliness.

A year ago, I was preparing to launch myself across the world on a solo trip to Ecuador to learn a new language. This morning the forest reminded me that in the time of COVID we can only travel in Concord. Though my research has led me to find places and libraries that I desperately want to visit, right now I can only travel through books, the internet, and inside myself.

I must travel widely right here. I have to have the courage that it took to land alone in the middle of the night in a city where I didn’t speak the language. I must challenge my limitations and question the dead ends. I need to find ways to keep going when it seems like there’s no place to go.

This is me, challenging myself to pack my bags and get moving again.

No comments: